Health Benefits Of Thieves Essential Oil
My first reaction to the name ‘Thieves Oil’ was a mental image of thieves running off with sacks of important, coveted essential oils. I laughed out loud when I discovered that the oil’s connection with thieves is actually no joke.
According to legend, Thieves Essential Oil is a blend of five essential oils that protected four robbers from contracting the plague in France while stealing from the homes of people who were infected. When the clever thieves were captured, the king of England demanded that they share the recipe or be killed. Ever since we’ve been fortunate enough to benefit from the secret formula of essential oils. Yay! Lucky us!
What Is Thieves Essential Oil?
Thieves Essential Oil is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Rosemary, Cinnamon, and Eucalyptus Radiata Essential Oils. The blend of oils has multiple benefits and uses and is popular for its immune-boosting and antibacterial properties.
Thieves Essential Oil Uses Explained
I’m not sure where to start with this one; there are more than 50 uses for Thieves Oil. The oil supports a healthy immune system (It saved the thieves from contracting the plague!) and has energizing properties. You can add it to almost anything, from your dishwasher (for cleaner dishes) to your washing machine (for cleaner clothes) and to your mop water (for cleaner floors), and that’s without mentioning its countless health uses.
Here is a list of further uses for Thieves Essential Oil:
- Thieves Oil has antibacterial properties. If you have a cut or wound, apply a drop of Thieves Oil around the area to prevent infection. The oil should also benefit your pet if it has a cut or wound.
- If you smoke and have tried countless times to stop with no success, you may have just found your smoking cure. Apply Thieves Oil to the tip of your tongue to help you quit smoking. Pretty awesome, isn’t it? Doesn’t hurt to give it a try.
- Use in a diffuser. This wards off germs and can increase your concentration and improve your mood.
- Good news, Thieves Oil is edible and if you add a few drops to your water or juice it can help to heal your cold.
- If you’re trying to reduce your dentist visits, try applying it to your gums to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
- Apparently, Thieves Oil can shrink your pimples and make them disappear. I never tried this myself, but I should. I can’t imagine it has an abracadabra effect, but if it shortens the lifespan of a pimple, I’d say it’s worth a try.
- Apply to your toes and feet to prevent foot fungus. (Thieves Oil’s antibacterial properties at work!)
Thieves Essential Oil Benefits Explained
Not only does Thieves Oil benefit your physical health, but it also benefits your mental health. A dose of Thieves Oil may be in order if you’ve been feeling stressed. Our mental and physical health are interrelated, so if we are feeling stressed, there’s a good chance the stress is taking its toll on our physical health as well. This means that by relieving stress, Thieves Oil can prevent us from contracting a host of potential physical symptoms brought on by stress.
Aids In Weight Loss
Thieves Oil also aids in weight loss. The essential oil blend contains metabolism-boosting properties. Lemon Oil stimulates the release of hormones in your body that make you feel full and Rosemary and Clove Oils work to improve digestion helping you to lose weight faster. The oils prevent bloating and indigestion while ensuring that your body retains enough nutrients from the food that you eat.
Supports Your Immune System
Thieves Oil is popular for its immune-strengthening effects. I suppose this encompasses every other medical condition that it treats because a stronger immune system can prevent those illnesses from occurring in the first place. So, if you’ve been getting sick more than usual or are concerned about contracting various illnesses (such as the plague) don’t hesitate to take advantage of Thieves Essential Oil.
Lemon Oil can lower levels of free radical activity and reduce fever, and Clove Essential Oil contains anti-inflammatory properties.
Thieves Essential Oil possesses anti-bacterial properties that prevent infection and the spread of infection.
Thieves Oil Safe Dosages and Side Effects
Use Thieves Oil in moderation; the general recommended dose is 1-5 drops. It is best to consult with a doctor before ingesting Thieves Oil or applying it to your skin. Most medical practitioners recommend that you patch test the oil on a small area before using it as a remedy. Thieves Oil could cause skin irritation or photosensitivity, a reaction that occurs when the skin is exposed to the sun. Thieves Oil is unsafe for pregnant or nursing women.
How To Make Thieves Oil DIY Recipe & Guide
Thieves Essential Oil is simple to make. All you need is:
- 2 teaspoons of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 2.5 teaspoons of Cinnamon Bark Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons Clove Essential Oil
Put all ingredients in a bottle, close the lid, and shake until it’s mixed. Store in a cool, dry place away from the sun.
Whether the story of the oil blend saving the robbers from the plague is true or not (I’m still wondering, although it does make a good story regardless), Thieves Oil didn’t gain popularity for nothing (even if the story did help). Thieves Oil offers the benefits of five different essential oils; people rave about a single essential oil these days, so imagine the goodness contained in a blend of five different oils!
You’ve now found your natural remedy for the next time you’re feeling stress, getting sick more than usual, or suffering from any one of the conditions that Thieves Oil benefits. Just remember to consult with a doctor before deciding on dosage and to confirm that it’s safe for you to use.