Tea Tree Oil For Lice Prevention And Treatment Explained
There’s nothing worse than getting that phone call from your child’s school saying that they are being sent home because they have lice. If this is your first time experiencing this phenomenon, than you’ll find yourself asking everyone around you the following questions: Who do I call? What do I say to my child? How do I make sure that nobody around us catches it? But most importantly… what can I do to treat it?! And here is where my how-to guide on tea tree oil for lice prevention and treatment comes in.
All of your lice-related questions are important, and will need to be dealt with in a timely and organized fashion. There are so many different types of treatments that you can find for this scary problem, but most solutions you’ll find will be filled with unwanted chemicals that are actually extremely harmful and dangerous. So why do people use them? Good question… the answer is simple. When you think there are no alternatives, you do what you must to get rid of the problem!
Getting To Know About Nits
Let’s get the facts. Lice eggs are commonly known and referred to as nits. Nits often survive chemical shampoos and different kinds of harsh treatments. The hair and scalp is already irritated; the additional chemicals needed increase the risk for hair and scalp damage.
I thought to myself that there had to be a better and more natural solution for this terrifying situation. So it was time to do my research. In literally seconds of doing the proper research, I found the results to be astonishing. Tea tree oil was a great natural remedy to help with lice treatment and the reality is…. Half the world doesn’t even know!
As more and more studies surface, it’s been shown that one of the many tea tree oil uses is that it serves as a powerful weapon used to kill head lice without any harmful side effects. Here’s how – it’s actually pretty simple:
Tea tree oil contains natural insecticides; antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties; and terpinen, a natural bacteria-fighting ingredient, all of which prevent and kill lice in an effective and safe way. Tea tree oil is able to actually coat the hair and scalp, contains agents that will kill head lice and its eggs, and soothes and heals the irritated scalp affected by lice. So tea tree oil for lice is definitely recommendable.
Tea Tree Oil In Action
Now that we have learned the secret and benefits of tea tree oil for hair, it’s time to talk about the different ways it can be used. In all honesty, I think that almost any way which you use this oil can be pretty effective, but everyone has different preferences of ways they choose to apply it. Let’s explore our options:
1. To start it off simply, you can find tea tree oil online or in stores, and just apply it to the scalp by itself. Sprinkle a few drops of tea tree oil on the head that has lice and BEFORE going to sleep. Once you do that, leave it in overnight with a towel on the pillow to kill the lice and all the eggs. The next morning, comb the hair to remove the dead lice, but make sure to wash the towel and everything you touched REALLY well!
2. Go find a good tea tree oil conditioner and shampoo that have tea tree oil in the ingredients. I personally find this method to be the easiest and most effective. Once you’ve found the right product for you, wash the hair thoroughly and repeat regularly as needed. Tea tree shampoo and conditioner is known to be great for repelling and killing lice, but even if I wasn’t trying to get rid of lice, I would personally still buy it.
3. Although tea tree oil by itself can be pretty effective, there are also a few different ways that are said to work as well. For example – Tea Tree Oil with lavender oil. What it does in a nutshell is work as a repellent (and has a great smell too!). Mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil and ½ teaspoon of lavender oil. Apply the solution to the effected scalp and hair. This can be done as many times as you find necessary.
4. Combining tea tree oil with olive oil can help as well. Although the sound of it might be a little less pleasant than the other options, research shows that it’s just as effective, if not more. This is because olive oil contains insecticide properties that loosen the lice and help remove it more easily. In order to make this combination, you mix a few drops of tea tree oil and 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Put the solution on the affected scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 – 60 minutes and rinse with water. After using this solution, it’s recommended to rinse hair again with vinegar to further prevent lice. Comb hair to remove the dead lice.
— Healthandcaretips (@livehealthycare) August 17, 2017
Some Helpful Tea Tree Tips
- Everyone knows that lice spreads super fast and super easily, so when dealing with this, remember that everyone in your house will need treatment as well.
- To take extra precaution, it is a good idea that family members do not share combs, pillows, or clothes to prevent the lice from spreading.
- Even when it comes to using safe and healthy remedies to treat the lice, such as tea tree oil, do not leave it on your scalp for more time than you are supposed to. Each product will have its own set of instructions which you should read and follow carefully.
- Make sure to test the tea tree oil on your skin for sensitivity or allergies. If you need to, try diluting the oil with water.
- If you are a pregnant or breast feeding woman, you must speak to your health care provider before using tea tree oil for any kind of treatments.
- To make sure that the lice is really gone, collect toys, stuffed animals, clothes etc. in tightly-sealed garbage bags. This smothers and kills the lice. Collect anything you use such as cotton balls in tightly–sealed bags and throw them away.
DIY Tea Tree Oil For Lice Recipe
Lice is something every school child and parent dreads as they’re highly contagious and incredibly annoying. Thankfully, Tea Tree oil and lice go together like oil and water – tea tree oil is a potent natural lice treatment and can really help your child avoid the issue in the first place as well as treat an infection, should you or your child be unfortunate enough to contract one.
Besides being an amazing natural treatment for a lice infection, tea tree oil also acts as a potent natural antibacterial and anti-fungal agent which can help to keep your hair and scalp clean and free of germs or bacteria that may cause inflammation and ultimately lead to itchiness or dandruff.
Blend 10 – 15 drops of pure Tea Tree Essential oil, 5 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of rosemary and 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil together in a small plastic or glass container and seal with a spray top. Then shake well and spray on warm wet hair. Once you’ve thoroughly coated the hair and scalp, add a few more drops of tea tree oil to your palms and run your hands through the hair to give it an additional and final coat.
Next, wrap your hair in clean towel for around 5 minutes to ensure that the oil seaps into your scalp and is thoroughly absorbed into your hair.Once the time has elapsed, run a fine-toothed comb through your hair and as the lice gather on the tip of the comb, quickly rinse them off down the sink. Keep repeating this process at least once a day, everyday until the infection has lessened.
If you’re not getting favorable results, I’d recommend blending 15-20 drops of tea tree oil and 10 drops of eucalyptus oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil, rubbing this into your hair and covering with a towel overnight (or for at least 1 – 2 hours).
Once the time has elapsed, rinse your hair with a cup of apple cider vinegar and a cup of warm water. However, this should only be used as a last resort as it can upset the natural oil balance of your scalp which may cause knock-on effects for the quality of your hair. But once or twice a week should be fine – this is a highly effective treatment and should help do more serious damage to those pesky lice.
Naturally Solving The Lice Problem With Tea Tree Oil
When anyone in my family or different people around me get lice, as stressful as the situation is I’m confident to say that I’m able to be a bit more calm knowing that I have such a good natural solution to this crazy problem. I have personally used shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and thank G-d it works fast and effectively every single time.
As a parent it makes me feel good knowing that I can rely on a natural product instead of filling my children’s head with harmful and unnatural chemicals. Each time the problem arises I use different kinds of mixtures combined with tea tree oil for hair and I’m so exited to say that it really does the trick. Suddenly lice doesn’t sound so scary anymore 🙂