Castor Oil Health Benefits Explained: Versatile And Effective!
Obtained by cold-pressing the seeds of the castor oil plant together, it is one of the most versatile and useful oils in the world. However, it took a fair bit of time and quite a lot of trial-and-error until the potential of the oil was fully tapped. From a favored punishment tool of dictator Benito Mussolini (he would force-feed victims mass quantities of the oil for its laxative properties) to a crude labor-inducing drug, it has seen its fair share of misuse throughout its long history.
It hasn’t all been bad, however, as there are those in history who have used it properly and for good causes. Castor beans were found in ancient Egyptian tombs dating all the way back to 4000 b.c., as Egyptian doctors used the oil to protect eyes from irritation. Thankfully, in more recent times, the benefits and full potential of castor oil have been wholly realized, to the benefit of millions of people around the world.
Having come a long way from its humble beginnings as an element of the ornamental garden plant known as ricinus communis, castor oil has now been made famous for its numerous benefits and properties, and especially its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects. Utilized for therapeutic, cosmetic, and medicinal purposes, it has a vast number of uses and applications.
A go-to treatment for hair and skin problems, it’s hard to imagine a person who couldn’t stand to prosper from one of its many uses. This is why Jamaican black castor oil is one of the most sought-after and heralded products in the world; natural and effective remedies for common ailments are just hard to come by! Without further ado, here are our top-10 uses of this amazing oil:
Top 10 Uses Of Castor Oil
1. Stops Stretch Marks – From pregnancy to a lack of skin elasticity, there are a number of potential causes of stretch marks. Regardless of the cause, however, everyone can agree that stretch marks are not fun. Castor oil is an all-natural and effective way to eliminate stretch marks. Rich in fatty acids that promote healthy skin, it can be applied topically to attack and eliminates stretch marks, and even has the ability to prevent stretch marks from ever forming in the first place.
2. Hair-Loss Treatment – Hair-loss is a problem that causes panic in many, to the extent that some are willing to pay exorbitant prices for hair transplants and treatments in a desperate attempt to reverse their fortunes. If only they tried castor oil! With its unusually high omega-9 essential fatty acid content, castor oil for hair growth boosts blood circulation to hair follicles, causing natural growth. Black castor oil can also promote thickness, shine, and overall hair health, making it one of the only reliable and all-natural hair care products available.
3. Dandruff and Dry Scalp Treatment – Even if you’re not suffering from hair-loss, there is probably a lot that castor oil can do for your head of hair. The antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of castor oil make it an effective eliminator of dandruff and dry scalp-related issues. Simply apply to the scalp and the castor oil does the rest, as the ricinoleic acid contained in the oil balances the scalp pH, which replenishes the natural oils of the scalp. The natural oils, in turn, help fight against dry scalp and dandruff.
4. Eyes, Eyelashes, Eyebrows – A number of eye-related maladies can be healed by applying castor oil. Scant or thinning eyebrows can be thickened by applying the oil, as can eyelashes that are lacking in length or thickness. Castor oil for eyelashes is a gentle and effective home remedy safe for almost everyone. Gland infections on the eyelid, known as ‘styes’, can be eliminated with consistent application. Additionally, castor oil’s healthy-skin promoting properties can work wonders on the skin around the eyes, including diminishing eye wrinkles sometimes referred to as ‘crow’s feet.’
5. Arthritis Remedy – It’s not just for cosmetic uses – the multipurpose castor oil has a number of health-related applications and uses as well. When massaged into muscles or joints, castor oil can relieve joint, nerve, and muscle pain, and even relieve the aches and pains associated with arthritis. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil make it an ideal pain reliever, and an all-natural one at that.
6. Fights Fungal Infections – Castor oil is effective in eliminating a number of different common fungal infections, from ringworm, to athlete’s foot, and even a persistent itch or rash. With its strong fungicidal properties, thanks to one of the active compounds found in the oil -- undecylenic acid -- it acts as a natural cure-all for common skin conditions, no matter how persistent or stubborn the problem may be. (If you are looking for another great anti-fungal oil check out tea tree oil.
7. Better, Healthier Skin – You don’t need to be suffering from an ailment to be unhappy with your skin. Dry or cracked skin is a common sign of aging and one that most people would like to be rid of. Castor oil goes a long way towards promoting healthier, youthful looking skin. The healthy fatty acids contained in castor oil penetrate the skin and stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, which give skin its strength and elasticity. This, in turn, moisturizes the skin, promoting wrinkle-free, healthy-looking skin anywhere on the body. Castor oil can even be used to heal cracked skin or to stimulate healthier nail growth if applied directly to the afflicted area or nail.
8. Acne and Lips – There’s a reason that cosmetic products use castor oil as an ingredient in skin-care and lip treatment products. The undecylenic acid and vitamin E found in castor oil help repair chapped, dry lips as well as encourage healthy, acne-free skin. Castor oil is an effective, 100% natural treatment for anyone looking for a simple lip balm or acne treatment without dealing with the unnatural filler ingredients found in typical over-the-counter products.
9. Fade Scars – Another common skin ailment that many people find themselves dealing with is the presence of an unwanted scar. Castor oil attacks scars in two ways – the fatty acids in the oil penetrate the skin and erase the scar tissue while simultaneously promoting the growth of new skin cells to replace. Over time, castor oil can fully eliminate most scars, and unlike other scar-treatments, it can do it fully naturally.
10. Bug bites and Sunburn – In the summer months, most people find themselves dealing with at least one of mosquito bites or sunburns, if not both. Castor oil is the go-to summertime treatment for these problems, as the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of the oil soothe the skin in case of either sunburn or bug bite, eliminating the itchiness and pain.
Limiting the best uses of castor oil to just a top-10 is no easy task. We didn’t even get into Oil Pulling, which Castor Oil works great for! The natural oil has a vast number of applications and uses, broad enough in scope that it’s hard to imagine a person who couldn’t benefit from one or more of its many applications. From skincare to hair care, to medical uses, it’s not hard to see why castor oil is one of the most popular natural products in the world today.