Carrot Spiced Rice With Creamy Almond ‘Yogurt’ Recipe
Rice is one of those essential dishes that we couldn’t live without. It is nutritious, low in calories and satiating. When cooked to perfection, it is truly a pleasure to eat – it’s soft and moist. Because rice alone has a mild flavor, we offer this recipe with a tantalizing seasoning and vegan, homemade, yogurt as the cherry on the top.
Health Benefits Of Rice Explained
Rice is rich in vitamin B1, vitamin D, calcium, fiber, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. It improves digestion, aids in weight loss, regulates blood pressure and benefits the immune system.
Health Benefits Of Almonds Explained
What would we do without almonds? They are one of the lowest calorie nuts but still just as filling as most of the higher calorie nuts. They are an excellent source of calcium and heart healthy monounsaturated fats. Plus, they are great tasting, adding flavor to any recipe.
Health Benefits Of Carrots Explained
Let’s not forget the carrots. Perhaps the cheery colored vegetable is best known for benefiting eye health. What it is less known for is its ability to aid in weight loss and lower cholesterol. Carrots are rich in antioxidants, potassium, vitamin K, fiber and beta-carotene.
This awesome dish is an all-time favorite. The almond ‘yogurt’ is a lovely creamy accompaniment with a nice, sharp, lemon back note to balance out the spiced carrot. You can eat this dish all year round.
Cooking time: 30-45 min
What You’ll Need
- Medium sized carrots – 4
- Brown basmati rice – 175g
- Coconut milk – 250ml
- Water – 250ml
- garam masala – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- The seeds from 4 cardamom pods
- 1-inch piece of root ginger
- Large onion – 1
- Coconut, rapeseed or olive oil – 2 tbsp
- A big handful of raisins
- A small bunch of coriander
For The Almond ‘Yogurt’
- Blanched almonds 100g
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Water – 125m
- Chop up the onion and garlic gloves. Peel and grate the carrots and ginger. After that, heat the oil in a large saucepan and put the lid on. Fry the onion until it gets soft. Once that’s done add the crushed garlic, all of the spices, a little bit of sea salt and black pepper and the grated ginger and carrots. Fry all together until the carrots start to soften and become glossy.
- Mix up the rice into the spiced carrot mixture. Pour over the coconut milk and water, cover and bring to the boil. Once it starts to boil, lower the heat to the lowest it will go and leave it to cook for 30-35 minutes
- Make sure to put the soaked almonds, lemon juice and water into a high-powered blender and blitz, beating if necessary until you have a smooth and fluffy ‘yogurt’.
- Fluff up the spiced carrot rice with a fork, roughly chop the coriander and mix it into the rice along with the raisins. Serve the carrot rice piled high with a dollop of almond ‘yogurt’ and a scattering of ripe and sweet, chopped tomatoes or as you please.
The mixture of all the amazing tastes makes this a dish you don’t want to miss out on. It can be served room temperature or however you want it. Spice up your dinner table!