Camphor Oil Health Benefits Finally Explained
Like so many others before me, I first came across camphor oil when treating some aching and sore muscles with tiger balm. The relief I found, along with the hot/cold sensation was just great. I probably didn’t know much about essential oils the first time I used tiger balm, but I recall the sensation vividly. I’ve used tiger balm many times, and the camphor certainly stands out as a critical ingredient.
There are so many essential oils out there, but people use camphor oil every day. While other essential oils find their way into the formulas of beauty and hygiene products, camphor is probably primarily used for treating injuries, various aches, and aiding in the process of curing certain skin conditions.
It does a good job, and it is incredible how well the body responds to it. It’s one of the most stimulating substances out there, and there are various ways you can apply it. In most cases, you will need a carrier oil to dilute it with, though sometimes you can apply it straight on. However, what is camphor, exactly? Well, let’s dive in and find out.
What Is Camphor Essential Oil?
Camphor – as a standalone substance – is a natural compound, found in the wood of the camphor laurel tree, aka Cinnamomum camphora. The tree originated in Asia, more specifically Indonesia. It is not the only tree which houses this valued substance, but the camphora is the one which has the most of it. Other species of trees have some camphor in them, but not in the same amount.
This substance is often used in religious ceremonies, cooking, and medicinal formulas. It has a unique and captivating scent that will calm and relax you. An Indian kitchen is probably where you would most likey find camphor used as a culinary ingredient. It is quite prevalent in Indian cuisine. Interestingly, due to camphor’s astringent properties, some parts of the world use it as an embalming fluid.
These days, camphor oil is usually synthesized and chemically manufactured in laboratories. There is no longer a need to use the bark and wood of the camphor tree, and the synthesis does a great job at emulating camphor’s properties.
Whether naturally derived or chemically produced, camphor oil has a plethora of health benefits. As with any essential oil, it is a very potent substance, so you will want to use it with all due care and consideration. Here are some of the top benefits which camphor provides.
Top 5 Benefits Of Camphor Essential Oil
Mother nature is one tough cookie. Her medicine cabinet is full of the goodness of the earth, and her supply is near-everlasting. She helps the body in so many ways, and camphor is but one example.
- Overall Health – As a stimulating substance, camphor can get the blood flowing with greater ease. It improves circulation, digestion, and metabolism. When used or consumed on a regular basis, it can do wonders for your body, Combined with a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet, it can help you stay fit and healthy.
- Skin – The skin is the largest organ you have. Unlike other organs, it is on the outside, and as such, it is very prone to irritation and sensitivity especially from the outside world. Your skin is vulnerable to the elements – diseases, infections, inflammation. Camphor is a disinfectant and is present in many lotions and creams to treat fungal and bacterial infections.
- Sexuality – Camphor interacts with the pleasure center of the body, and it affects the area of the brain which is responsible for sexual stimulation. The oil of camphor can help with erectile dysfunction issues, by improving blood flow to the penis and stimulating the brain.
- Pain Relief – Cramps and spasms can be relieved by using camphor oil. The oil penetrates the skin, gets into your system, and works its magic on the affected muscles. In cases such as this, it is even more critical to dilute it. Swelling or pains of many kinds can be reduced using this miraculous substance.
- Decongestant – Cold got you down? Coughing like there’s no tomorrow? Feeling congested? Camphor to the rescue! This oil can help bring your respiratory system back to balance and treat cold and cough symptoms. It is a great way to get through the rainy season, along with peppermint essential oil and ginger. But it works well by itself too.
Where Can I Buy Camphor Oil?
Camphor oil can be bought at many health food stores, both online and offline. You can also find it at various vitamin and dietary supplement shops and pharmacies. Make sure that you purchase 100% pure camphor essential oil since you will probably want to dilute it yourself with a carrier oil of your choice.
Whether it is on Amazon, Walmart, Ebay, or any number of e-shops, make sure that it is 100%. Many individuals prefer the natural, organic oil, but there is nothing wrong with going with the chemically-produced alternative. If you are deliberating, consult with an aromatherapist or holistic physician, and they will be able to instruct you.
Camphor oil is one of the most widely used essential oils today. In some cases, you are using it without even knowing that you are using it. It is not just a part of many medical salves but also presents itself in insect repellents and treatments for bites and stings.
The skin, vascular system, respiratory system, and the digestive system can all benefit a great deal from this oil. Boost your circulation, enhance your libido, help your metabolism, drive away cold and cough symptoms, and disinfect anything and everything using this highly versatile oil.