The Definitive Aveda Be Curly Conditioner Review
They say that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but I believe that beautiful healthy curls also are. Curly hair looks romantic and cheerful, but also creates a lot of trouble. If you are a happy owner of curly hair, like I am, you know that dealing with it can sometimes be a nightmare.
Curly hair requires special treatment because of its structure. If until this day you wondered why other girls have those lively pretty curls and big sexy hair, while yours just doesn’t look and feel so good… well, you simply are not doing it right.
What You Need To Know About Curls
If you compare straight hair’s and curly hair’s bulbs, you will find that many natural hair curl types are shaped a little bit like a comma. In fact, this is the reason why the curls are formed in the first place. The hair starts growing straight and then changes the direction of growth all the time due to the bulb shape. The structure of such hair is more loose; therefore it is influenced more easily by different environmental factors. Usually curls result in greasy hair at the roots faster and gets dry on the ends more frequently.
In order to control or even prevent some of these effects you have to give your curly hair special treatment and constant gentle care. Because your hair’s pores are open, it tends to absorb nearly everything that gets into it. Therefore, it is recommended to choose organic shampoos and conditioners so that only natural ingredients get inside of your hair structure.
Why Choose Aveda Be Curly?
Aveda is a pioneer in the development of environmentally friendly hair care products. My hair stylist recommended me to use Aveda Be Curly ™ line when I started having problems with my pretty curls. I wash my hair every day and most of the time I blow dry it, which resulted in dry scalp and brittle hair. Ever since I found out about Aveda Be Curly ™ conditioner and the system of cowashing, which I will tell you about a little later, I fell in love with it. I can’t believe how much my curls have changed since then!
It is important to know that using masks and conditioners is vital for curly hair as it becomes dry very quickly, and if it becomes dry you will have to start cutting it very soon, because split ends and tired locks will make your hair look terrible and untidy. Pretty much, conditioning should be the most important part of your hair routine for luscious, sexy hair.
Preparing Your Hair For Be Curly Conditioning
Shampoo’s main goal is to cleanse your hair from dirt particles and extra sebum. However, in the case of curly hair, shampooing is not just a cleansing procedure -- it is a preparation before nourishing your curls with conditioner. Lather your hair thoroughly with your favorite shampoo and rinse off with warm water. Never wash your hair with hot water as it will damage it.
Aveda Be Curly Conditioner Application
Now it is time to moisturize and condition your hair with Aveda Be Curly Conditioner. Apply a dime size amount of conditioner to damp hair and distribute evenly through the length with your fingers. Leave in for 3-5 minutes and rinse off thoroughly. Curly hair tends to absorb smells quickly, and in the case of this conditioner, this is nothing but a benefit for you.
It smells fantastic and fresh due to some of the best, natural essential oils for curly hair: lime, lemon, bergamot, orange and other plants and flowers, which are used in many Aveda’s products.
It is very important that you use products specially designed for curly hair. I have experienced it myself and strongly advise you to try and change your curly hair routine and you will see how your locks will change. Aveda Be Curly helps to enhance waves, tame unruly hair, add shine and control frizz.
It is no secret that Aveda products are on the pricey side. Well, I must admit it is worth every single dollar you invest. First of all, the texture of the conditioner is very rich, so even if you have long hair you will not need too much to lather it properly. It might actually save you money because you will end up using less conditioner than you usually do.
Aveda Be Curly Conditioner has another extremely important property, which is de-tangling. If you have curly hair you know how much damage can be made when washing your hair and then trying to brush through it. Be Curly Conditioner will help you solve this problem and you will stop losing hairs.
— shampoozone (@shampoozonenyc) June 29, 2017
Having said all this, I’ll share my personal curly hair care tips, which I am able to implement with Aveda Be Curly Conditioner.
Aveda Be Curly Conditioner Tips
- Cowashing is a trendy hair care technique of replacing a shampoo with a conditioner to clean your scalp. I had heard of this method and decided to give it a try with Aveda conditioner. I stopped using shampoo and cleansed my hair with a conditioner instead, which helped me to moisturize it very well. It turns out that the conditioner can cleanse your hair just as well, but in a very gentle way. Of course, if you have a lot of hair gel or other styling product build up in your hair you will have to use shampoo, but cowashing is definitely something worth trying, especially with such an effective product like Aveda Be Curly Conditioner.
- Curls always twist in the same direction. Even after washing they will bounce back into their places, so brushes and combs might damage the structure. Only comb your curly hair while still damp and use your fingers, not a comb. This will help you to get the strong curly structure back.
- Washing and conditioning your hair should be a very gentle process. Press the curls from the bottom up, and massage the scalp. If you start cowashing, you might feel the need to shampoo your hair every once in a while, and that is ok. It will take time for your hair to get used to the difference. But washing it with shampoo should be as gentle as possible.
- Blow drying breaks the curls down. The best way is air drying. However, if for whatever reason you can not let your hair dry naturally, make sure you use a diffuser and dry your hair at low temperatures.
- Forget about the towel over your hair after the shower. Drying like that breaks the structure of your curls. Towel dry your hair pushing from the bottom up, no massaging this time, only light touching. If you have too much water left on your hair, use a paper towel to remove it.
- Pony tails are not your friends. They ruin the structure of the curls, so try to wear your hair up as rarely as you can.
Good luck on your way to perfect, seductive curls! P.S. If you love reading labels as much as I do, here is some info for you. Study and enjoy:
[Aveda Be Curly Conditioner Ingredients: Aqueous extracts, aloe barbadensis leaf, glycerin, stearyl alcohol, castor isostearate succinate, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, sunflower seed oil, palmamidopropyl trimonium methosulfate, behenamidopropyltrimonium methosulfate, biosaccharide gum-1, behentrimonium methosulfate, babassumidopropyltrimonium methosulfate, tapioca starch, hydrolyzed wheat protein, tocopherol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, fragrance, limonene, geraniol, linalool, citral, eugenol, citronellol, sodium gluconate, sodium benzoate, phenoxyethanol.]